A message from our Executive Director:
FY14 has been an incredibly productive and busy year for Homeless Services United, and we wanted to take a moment to acknowledge and thank our amazing member organizations, who everyday help to address the growing need for emergency shelter and services for New York City's most vulnerable. It is with your boundless enthusiasm, as well as the support of our funders and allies, that Homeless Services United is able to affect the conversation around realistic solutions to the rising crisis of homelessness in New York City.
With the change in City administration, there are tremendous opportunities for strengthening your programs and supporting your staff. HSU will continue working with our partners and allies within the government on City and State level to ensure that those who are currently homeless have access to vital homeless services. We must ensure that providers can continue to offer high-end quality programs and retain and recruit the dedicated and valuable workforce necessary to run these programs.
We look forward to working closely with you in the coming months, as we continue efforts to meet the most immediate needs of New York City's homeless populations while working for a future in which fewer households experience the crisis on homelessness.
Christy Parque, MSW
Educational Rights of Homeless Students Training
Friday, September 19th, 10AM to 12PM
HELP USA Genesis Apartments, 113 East 13 St, NY, NY 10003, lower level
- Brief overview on education outcomes related to homeless kids
- Combating chronic absenteeism
- School Enrollment
- How to work with families to promote school stability
- Yellow bus transportation and Metrocards
- School funds for uniforms, school supplies, etc.
Training is targeted towards:
- All shelter staff, including shelter directors and case managers
- DOE staff, including school staff and shelter-based Family Assistants
- NYC social service providers that serve school-age children
Register by Telephone: 800-388-2014